The Sabalo is a 12ft 30″ beam Sit on Top kayak design from Jem Watercraft.
Will be building this for the Wifey! Hopefully done by Fall 2020
- Interior Fiberglass and framesOk, fiberglassing the interior I thought was gonna be fast and easy. Since looks don’t really matter. Turns out I was wrong as usual. Basically it felt like as soon as you did one section it would tug a bit on another section and the fillet areas would always end up with air bubbles. Near … Read More “Interior Fiberglass and frames” »
- Its Fiberglassing Time!First time fiberglassing. There seemed to be two methods. The CLC method of doing sections at a time and Nick Schade’s method of saturating the fiberglass everywhere and coming back to squeeze out the excess. I had estimated this step would take a bit over an hour based in Nick Schade’s video. Well, the Sabalo … Read More “Its Fiberglassing Time!” »
- Let the sanding beginStarted sanding down the outside of the hull. I started with 60 grit by hand. The reason I wanted to start by hand was to get a feel for it, and especially the chines I feel needed some work to get the correct shape and feather in some of the edges. It took forever. After … Read More “Let the sanding begin” »
- Epoxy filletsSo this step feels like it’s taking forever. It started with tacking together panels B-D. Than we had to remove the inner frame, restitch supports, stitch Panel A and than tacking that in. Somewhere in that we also restitched the bow with the jig, carefully remove the jig and tack the bow. I’ve since filled … Read More “Epoxy fillets” »
- Hull panels all stitchedIt took longer than I thought it would. Buy finally all the hull panels are stitched up and all but the last one have epoxy fillets holding them along. Note of advice for future builders, leave the stitches a bit loose and popsicle sticks are super useful for helping to keep the shape. Also don’t … Read More “Hull panels all stitched” »